Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Greetings


This blog was created as a link for descendants of Joseph and Elisabeth Koch to find family information and see pictures of ancestors and cousins. It has not been a close family, and has experienced early death of mothers on several occasions, causing children to be separated and raised in various homes. Very few individuals know more than a very small amount of information, so gathering and putting together a history has been extremely difficult.

Joseph and Elisabeth came to America with 3 children - Josephine (Ahlers), Peter, and Leona (Sanford). Five more children were born in Alton, Iowa - John, Nick, Otto, Joseph Peter, and Rita (Wiltgen).

Joseph Peter married Katherine (Kate) Dirckx and their children were: Eloi Peter, Edward Theodore, Betty, Donald Michael, Rita (Raymond), Maureen (Rattray), and Richard.

I am Sharon Koch, married to Dennis, son of Edward Theodore Koch. My research has taken me to all the branches of this family to try to find someone who has another piece of this puzzle. This is a work in progress as those puzzle pieces are discovered.

You can respond to this post with your information, questions, references, etc. I would be most happy to receive them.

Koch Name Meaning and History
German and Jewish (Ashkenazic): occupational name from Middle High German koch, German Koch ‘cook’ (cognate with Latin coquus). The name in this sense is widespread throughout eastern and central Europe, and is also well established in Denmark.


Top Occupations for Koch in 1880
Compiled from the 1880 U.S. Federal Census records
Farmer 22%
Laborer 7%
Housekeeper 5%
Carpenter 3%
Tailor 2%
Shoemaker 2%

3 comments:

  1. As always when I recieve your information...I am in tears. I am so grateful for you and all that you have and are doing for this family. I am the 5th generation from Joseph Koch and yet I want to know who I am and where I came from. They may have passed on but their memories can live within us!
    Malachi 4:6
    5 ¶ Behold, I will asend you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:
    6 And he shall turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon:

    Looks like you have done alot of research to get where you are today. Thank You for the Information, to our past.
    Hugs Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon,
    We have been receiving your information.
    I never have known this much about my dad and his family. My email address for the time being is cathy.koch@target.com.
    Daughter of Don and Ruth Koch

    ReplyDelete